Posted: May 17, 2014
Starting your weight loss journey can be daunting. With so many diet books, diet advice, and diet plans out there – keeping it all straight and simply starting can be hard. And figuring out how to lose weight the best way for you – just overwhelming. Set yourself up for weight loss success with these 6 easy weight loss tips.
- Find a plan that works for your life. The first key is that any diet can work if you stick to it and no diet will work if it doesn’t fit into your life. The key is to seek out sound medical advice from a certified and experienced professional.
- Start using a food journal. A simple trick to start your on your weight loss journey is journaling. And that doesn’t have to be with a pen and paper. There’s a ton of great apps out there like MyFitnessPal to help you get started. People who use a food journal have 50% better weight-loss success than those who don’t.
- Assess your carb intake. Looking at the daily carbohydrates in your diet. Research now shows that carbohydrates are responsible for driving our hunger and causing more weight gain. Everyone’s metabolism is different. You should assess your carb intake and determine what’s right for you.
- Little things make a big difference. Another tip is to remember that little things do make a difference. Dieting is not all or none. When you open that pantry door – think to yourself – are you really hungry? Walking away when you’re really not hungry can sometimes improve your weight-loss by another 3 or 4 pounds. Just remember that one extra M&M can cause you to gain weight on the average 3 to 4 pounds a year – so yes, that extra little bite does make a difference. The Just Walk Away Tip: Hang signs on your refrigerator or inside your pantry door that say, “Why Am I here?”, “Am I really hungry?”, or “Do I Really Want to Eat That?” to remind you to think about it.
- Bad Days Happen. Maybe it was pizza with the soccer team. Or you just really need to have that ice cream. Don’t beat yourself up if you have one “bad day”. Remember – It’s a lifestyle of “bad days” that can cause us to gain weight. One day is not going to do that. Just don’t let the habit form.
- Develop a weight loss support system. Don’t go it alone. Enlist a friend for a weight-loss buddy. Someone you can share successes with and help you if you have setbacks. Or find a weight-loss professional that can help you with education, medication and other medical advice as you may need.
It’s not supposed to consume your life and it takes time – that’s normal! So don’t give up.